It started with Hermione Granger. A female main character with spunk and a certain ferocity (did I use that right…? Probably not). From there, female heroine’s have been the stage of young adult novels. From Hermione Granger, to Annabeth Chase and all the way to Aelin Ashryver Galathynius.
I did a Twitter poll and the end results were just as a I suspected. Before I did this post I wanted to be sure that I wasn’t the only one noticing this pattern.
Out of 151 votes, 83% of people agreed that books with female main characters were more common than those with main male characters. The other 17% disagreed.
While the poll was running I myself speculated the why. Why female main characters were more common than the male main characters. I came up with a small list.
- Less male authors, less male perspectives
- NYT Bestselling authors write female heroines, other debut authors follow same path
- Fear that writing a more unique male main character perspective will be shunned
- Female authors struggle writing male main characters, and decide to writing a female character they themselves can relate to is easier
I think the main reason is that we don’t have enough male authors out there. I mean seriously, the first one’s that come to mind aren’t that many.
- James Dashner
- John Green
- Patrick Ness
- Michael Grant
- Adam Silvera
THAT IS LITERALLY ALL I CAN THINK OF OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD. I myself can easily admit that I don’t read many books with male main characters. Why? Maybe it’s because I’m a girl and I can relate to the heroines better. Or maybe it’s because strong female characters are someone I look to inspire to. I have no idea.
What do you guys think of male main characters? Do you agree that we need more? Why do you think that male main characters are lacking in modern young adult novels? Comment what you think below! 🙂
Thanks for reading guys! 🙂